Sunday, July 10, 2011

The 4th of July in Hutchinson, KS


Back when I was a kid in Illinois, I loved fireworks. When I saw the firework display in Kansas, I realized that I have been missing out since I left the Midwest.

Fireworks on the coasts (near New York and in California) are crowded, hard to drive to, and underwhelming. When I was a kid, we could park the car in a field right under the show, put a blanket on the grass, and enjoy the show in a near 3d perspective. That is what we did in Kansas.

The kids watched amazed. S kept shouting 'they are getting closer'. Z sat on my lap and asked me questions about the science of fireworks. Interestingly, after the show, N, who had also lived in Illinois for a year right after her family had moved to the USA, remarked that she had not seen a show like this since Illinois.

These pictures don't do the show any justice (what do you expect from a tablet camera).








No comments:

Post a Comment