Saturday, July 16, 2011

Motherland, Part II


I am from Illinois, and N is too, of sorts.

When N's family immigrated 30 years ago, it was to Illinois. Like me, she was young, and didn't stay long. Unlike me, she has many relatives in the state to this day. We had been looking forward to being able to spend some time with her father's family, and it turned out to be awesome.

We stayed with N's father's cousin (don't bother trying to think about that, they are all just bhaiyas and didis for Punjabis). Everyone was incredibally nice. The kids were really excited to meet a parallel universe family.





I find it amusing that N is from India, but has very few relatives there, and many in Illinois. I am from Illinois, but I have very few relatives there, and many in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment